GTK+ Adwaita: Just in case & detailed info

David Evans devans at macports.org
Mon Oct 6 19:50:52 PDT 2014

On 10/6/14 5:30 PM, Eneko Gotzon wrote:
> Hello all :)
>
> After a port upgrade Terminal.app has shown the following note:
> /You can make Adwaita the default GTK+ 3 theme with:/
> /------------------------------------------------------/
> /mkdir -p ~/.config/gtk-3.0 &&/
> /cat > ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini << "EOF"/
> /[Settings]/
> /gtk-theme-name = Adwaita/
> /gtk-fallback-icon-theme = gnome/
> /EOF/
>
> I understood the six lines above to be a single or combined command,
> so I copied and pasted them as a whole in a Terminal window, showing
> something like this——I'm not sure the last line was present:
> />> mkdir -p ~/.config/gtk-3.0 &&/
> />> cat > ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini << "EOF"/
> />> [Settings]/
> />> gtk-theme-name = Adwaita/
> />> gtk-fallback-icon-theme = gnome/
> />> EOF/
>
> As this action did not result in an accustomed Terminal answer, I
> decided to clean all ports (/sudo port clean --all installed/),
> without success, getting instead this message:
> /Usage: port/
> /        [-bcdfknopqRstuvy] [-D portdir] [-F cmdfile] action
> [privopts] [actionflags]/
> /        [[portname|pseudo-portname|port-url] [@version]
> [+-variant]... [option=value]...].../
> /"port help" or "man 1 port" for more information./
>
> Because I did not know what to do with this output I decided to run
> again selfupdate & upgrade commands, after which all seems work
> correctly (I can clean all ports).
>
> QUERIES
>
>   * Just in case, do you think I have been able to break something?
>   * Maybe someone can point to a more detailed information about
>     making Adwaita the default GTK+ 3 theme.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Eneko Gotzon Ares

This is outdated and needs to be removed.  Adwaita IS the default gtk3
theme in 3.14.0

Grepping the gtk3 source shows

$ grep -R DEFAULT_THEME_NAME *
gtk/gtksettingsprivate.h:#define DEFAULT_THEME_NAME      "Adwaita"

So forget the notes and just make sure you have the theme installed in
addition to gtk3.  I suggest installing gnome-themes-standard which
will also bring in new port adwaita-icon-theme and gnome-backgrounds.

To test, you can run gtk3-demo (provided by gtk3)

For more background on the switch to Adwaita, see

http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/06/13/a-new-default-theme-for-gtk/

Dave