FATAL ERROR: Can't execute 'mysqlcheck'

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 8 17:20:08 PDT 2014

On Oct 8, 2014, at 2:16 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:

> * Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> [141007 15:07]:
>>
>> On Oct 7, 2014, at 5:08 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
>>>
> <...> > I'm using mysql version 5.1.72 on OS X 10.7.5
>>
>> Note that the mysql5 port is deprecated. If possible, please
>> upgrade to one of the newer mysql ports: mysql51, mysql55,
>> mysql56, mariadb, mariadb-10.0, mariadb-10.1 or percona. Of those,
>> I recommend mariadb-10.0 at this time. Possibly, these newer ports
>> do not have this same problem.
>
>  I have installed mysql56, but I have not yet activated it, as it
>  has been a while since I last did a mysql upgrade.
>
>  I see the following instructions for mysql55 at
>  http://jackal.livejournal.com/2160464.html
>
>  Given the path changes re mysql56, should I expect the
>  instructions at the URL above to be complete and correct?

Those instructions appear to deal with installing mysql55 for the first time. They don't address the steps you would need to take to move data from a previous MySQL installation, nor upgrading that data to a possible new format. Some of that is addressed by the official MySQL documentation. We should add the MacPorts specifics to our own documentation. We should move the MySQL documentation out of the MAMP wiki page onto its own wiki page.