/bin/sh: line 2: `BASH_FUNC_ttr%%': not a valid identifier

Barrie Stott zen146410 at zen.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 03:13:23 PDT 2014

On 9 Oct 2014, at 23:27, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> Off the top of my head:
> * Rosetta (for PPC)
> * Apple Mail in Mavericks cannot do any searching without spotlight (among other bugs)
> * Mavericks Messages keeps records of every chat you’ve had, the option to explicitly “close” can cause deletion when set but previously iChat didn’t try to horde data like this
> * Gatekeeper makes you jump through hoops to install from un-"identified developers” ($)
>
> You can decide how negative these issues are overall (I only use Mavericks on the go, when I’m not really using the computer), and I’m sure there are further reasons.
>
> On Oct 9, 2014, at 18:09, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
>> Is there any good reason to stay with Snow Leopard, when the upgrade to
>> Mavericks is both free and painless?  And if you had Xcode then you get
>> that for free as well.

I do not think all possibilities for my situation with Snow Leopard have been tried and I've not heard of a mass exodus from Snow Leopard by others with the same problem as me so I'm not intending to move to Mavericks until this has fully played out.

On 10 Oct 2014, at 01:07, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> Apple's not patching 10.6, so either you must build a new bash yourself and copy it over /bin/bash (I do not recommend this) or apply the Debian / FreeBSD patch to MacPorts' bash to stop it from exporting functions at all.

Wouldn't the stopping of function export from MacPorts' bash be a big restriction on bash use. For example, I want to be able to type "mvim", with or without parameters, to open a MacVim window. At present, I get the error:
"/bin/sh: line 8: `BASH_FUNC_usenosql%%': not a valid identifier". Would not the prevention of function export prevent me from opening a MacVim window?

Barrie.