Problem with cssh

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 15:37:14 PDT 2014

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:

> I get the following problem when running cssh. My mac is of version OS
> X 10.9.5. Does anybody know what the problem is? Thanks.
>
> $ cssh machine1 machine2
> Can't connect to display `tmp/launch-KZPKti/org.macosforge.xquartz:0':
> Invalid argument at
> /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.3/X11/Protocol.pm line 2270.

Looks like it "knows too much" about what X $DISPLAY looks like and is
tripping over the launchd socket (specifically, removing the leading
slash). This is a sadly common bug; programs should not make assumptions
about what $DISPLAY looks like, but too many do (mostly as a long obsolete
workaround for issues with ancient versions of X11, around the R2 or R3
days).

It's not clear from this whether it's the Perl module or cssh that is
breaking $DISPLAY.