Problem with $DISPLAY

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 14:35:22 PDT 2014

X11 goes back to way before Mac OS X, as well as long before Linux.

I first built X11 on SunOS (not Solaris) in 1989, on a workstation
that was running Sunview.

I still own a copy of Mac X (or some such) that ran on System 7.

I've never read the X11 spec but my understanding is that it only
defines the "wire protocol" - that is, what is expected from the
network connection.

XLib is built _on_ _top_ of the network protocol, but isn't defined by it.

When I was working on MacTCP QA in 1990, there was some discussion of
building a native Mac OS alternative to the UNIX XLib, but this wasn't
pursued.
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail.com
http://www.warplife.com/mdc/

   Available for Software Development in the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan
Area.