no destroot

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 07:03:34 PDT 2014

On Tuesday October 14 2014 08:02:39 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> > Any ideas? can I rebuild the database?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Robert
>
> Interesting. I'm afraid I don't know much about why database problems happen, but hopefully someone else does.

A crash or disk error at the wrong time (and place) could explain much. The more interesting question is how to rebuild the database without having to reinstall all ports!

Robert: your best bet may be to restore the latest snapshot from *before* your last selfupdate from a TimeMachine (or other) backup, and try again from there.
If all else fails you can try a `port installed requested` and reinstall from scratch following the same instructions that also apply for upgrading MacPorts after an OS upgrade. That is, if your database is not so damaged that it can no longer provide the list of ports you installed explicitly ...

R.