Problem with $DISPLAY

Jim Graham spooky130u at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 17:56:30 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:27:26AM -0400, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Ren?? J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > view towards the way things are in Linux-land.
> >
> > Correction: Unix. X11 was around (long) before Linux, and no matter how
> > you turn it, OS X *is* a Unix OS.
>
> So unix/hostname:display was somehow not Unix? You're just digging the hole
> deeper. Stop, think, consider --- or go back to Linux, since your purity is
> being corrupted by defective other operating systems that refuse to do
> things the approved-by-Linux-therefore-definitive-by-definition way.

I just started reading this thread, but I can't just sit by after this
pair of posts and some of the ones leading to it, without setting the
record straight....

DISPLAY = hostname:0 (etc) is NOT a Linux thing, it's not a MacOS X
thing, it's not a FreeBSD thing, nor is a SunOS or Solaris or Ultrix,
Aix, AT&T SYS V (back when it WAS AT&T, running on 3B2 systems), or any
Unix variant or UNIX(tm) thing.  NONE of these can claim "ownership" to
hostname:0.  You have to look back a bit farther back than Linux, and you
have to look in the right direction.  I can go back as for as MIT X11R4,
ca 1988 or 1989.  It's part of X, not part of the OS.  It's how X does
things.

It's how X works.  It's been how X works since, like I said, at least as
far back as MIT X11R4.  How the system represents it internally is
meaningless to the user, so why the big debate over that?

And, case-sensitive vs case-insensitive?  That debate doesn't apply on
Unix systems---it's always case-sensitive.  If I create two directories,
foo and Foo, they are different directories, and I know, from decades of
working with various Unix systems, that I am perfectly safe if I do a
rm -rf on one, as it will NOT touch the other.  The same goes for files.
Just as I know that, if I send this whole debate to /dev/NULL on my
Mac, it will result in "permission denied" as I'm not root (like any
experienced Unix user, I know better than to use root when root privs
are not required...WAY too dangerous---one typo, and we all know what
can happen).

Bored now.....going back to working on porting GTbrew2 to Android now....

Later,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running Mac OS X Lion >

                   Saw something on TV about Psych-os.
             Hmmmm, Psych OS.  Perhaps the next freeware OS....   --me