Problem with $DISPLAY

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Fri Oct 17 12:34:38 PDT 2014

On Oct 17, 2014, at 6:22 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's been a while since I checked, but isn't it possible to go from the one to the other by swapping a switch with the right tool, without needing to reformat the whole partition?

I have never heard of such a thing.

> (As to HFSX vs HFS: I don't think that's what defines case-sensitivity, but the HFSX term has been used a little to carelessly to be sure).

Everything I've seen suggests that the "X" does signify case-sensitivity. It's confusing, if nothing else.

    % diskutil listFilesystems
    Formattable file systems

    These file system personalities can be used for erasing and
    partitioning. When specifying a personality as a parameter to a verb,
    case is not considered. Certain common aliases (also case-insensitive)
    are listed below as well.

    PERSONALITY                     USER VISIBLE NAME
    ExFAT                           ExFAT
    Free Space                      Free Space
      (or) free
    MS-DOS                          MS-DOS (FAT)
    MS-DOS FAT12                    MS-DOS (FAT12)
    MS-DOS FAT16                    MS-DOS (FAT16)
    MS-DOS FAT32                    MS-DOS (FAT32)
      (or) fat32
    HFS+                            Mac OS Extended
    Case-sensitive HFS+             Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)
      (or) hfsx
    Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+   Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
      (or) jhfsx
    Journaled HFS+                  Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
      (or) jhfs+
    %

> In any case, you won't trash anything by converting a fs to case-sensitive, it's the opposite step that can lead to aliasing.

I meant "trash" in the sense of trying something like "rm Foo" for laughs, thinking that a file "foo" would be safe. (Obviously, on HFS+, you couldn't actually have two files "foo" and "Foo".)

vq