Problem with $DISPLAY

Gregory Shenaut gkshenaut at ucdavis.edu
Fri Oct 17 15:17:23 PDT 2014

I played around with the Character Viewer and found that the default Mac filesystem does a pretty good job at correctly confusing upper and lower case, in every character set I tried (this is not always trivial). The only exception I found was with circled Latin letters. If you run this command:

	touch "Ⓐ Ⓑ Ⓒ" ; touch "ⓐ ⓑ ⓒ"

you get two files (or at least I did).

When I first moved to Mac OS/X from Unix, I tried installing part of the system on UFS. It claimed to support it in the documentation, after all. What a mess. Many applications at every level were randomly specifying upper or lower cases in file paths and everything became hopelessly garbled. That experience forever cured me of trying to get case sensitivity on Macs.

Greg Shenaut