Migrating to Yosemite---cannot run 'port -qv installed' after OS upgrade

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sun Oct 19 12:08:53 PDT 2014

On Oct 19, 2014, at 3:00 PM, Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> So uninstalling and reinstalling as people suggested before would only replicate those useless ports again...so functionally, how is
> what I did (using sudo port -u upgrade outdated) different from uninstall/reinstalling everything? And how is it going to change the situation of my ports that fail to build?

They are not equivalent. Upgrading requires the dependency graph to be correct, which may or may not be the case. Yes, an incorrect dependency graph (e.g., undeclared dependencies) is a bug, but it might not manifest at compile time and could cause subtle issues later.

So upgrading and reinstalling from scratch should be equivalent theoretically, but they might not be equivalent in practice.

vq