Yosemite upgrade

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Oct 19 18:00:32 PDT 2014

On Oct 19, 2014, at 3:33 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2014, at 1:33 PM, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
>> Supported or not...this way seemed to work for a majority of my ports and I was wondering whether nuking all 459 of my ports for the sake of a few that don't work seems like an inefficient solution. It seems there are other ways to approach this problem...
>
> Upgrading ports, rather than uninstalling and reinstalling, can work. It's how I've done it, because when I started out with the first Yosemite beta months ago, half the ports I had installed couldn't build under Yosemite, and I didn't want to uninstall them and be unable to reinstall them. Looking at which ports in "port outdated" mentioned darwin 13 was also a good way for me to remind myself what ports I still needed to work on. Fortunately most of them have been fixed already by now.

This is what I usually do now also (ever since port started recording which darwin major release a port was built for).

However - the migration instructions are what they are for a reason, it's the only way you can be sure to get a working install. You should only deviate from that if you're willing to spend your own time tracking down what isn't working and why.

If you'd like to have help/support from the community, you should try to follow the community's recommendations.

--
Daniel J. Luke