controlling Macports version of Apache2 -- part 2

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Thu Oct 23 18:37:42 PDT 2014

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 9:23 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
>
> On Oct 23, 2014, at 8:34 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 23, 2014, at 7:09 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
>>> What I'm looking for is the "notes" (or explanations) which were in the install stream.
>>> Are they recorded anywhere? Or do you have to remember to copy them down on the fly?
>>>
>>> port notes installed
>>
>> Aha useful.
>>
>> Except that Apache2 yields:
>>
>> "apache2 has no notes."
>
> I am fairly certain that I recalled instructions in the re-installation process (post Yosemite) of Apache2 on how to start and stop Apache2.
>
> Clearly Apachectl does not work. (/usr/sbin/apachectl)
> It expects to run /usr/sbin/httpd as its binary
>
> The plist file it uses is similarly not involved.
> /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist
>
> What I am unable to find is those instructions.
>
>> echo $PATH
> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin:/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin:/Users/magill/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local1/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/etc:/usr/etc:/usr/local/etc:/usr/local1/etc
>
> I can eventually puzzle out the answer, but I can't find it documented anywhere.

I note that /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl contains the following reference:

# a command that outputs a formatted text version of the HTML at the
# url given on the command line.  Designed for lynx, however other
# programs may work.
LYNX="lynx -dump"

Obviously an artifact from long, long ago in the Unix world.

What is the equivalent today? MacPorts does not contain a Lynx port which the search command can find.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10 OSX Server (now dead)

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com