controlling Macports version of Apache2

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Thu Oct 23 20:31:56 PDT 2014

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 11:02 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
> At one time there were instructions in the port on how to start and stop the Apache server -- they are now missing.
>
> The technique to be used is anything but obvious for anyone familiar with Apache.
>
> By the way, could you explain why using apachectl --- which is the way you are supposed to manage it directly --- is somehow wrong (not to mention different from systems like Linux or *BSD or Solaris where you control it directly with apachectl)? I think earlier versions *did* require a wrapper script --- but that likely was a workaround for a bug, and is fixed now.

"Obviously" using "/opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl would be the "expected" way of doing things.

But even that probably needs to be documented because the PATH does not include "/opt/local/apache2/bin/" - you have to know that it is there.
Because Apple has a copy in /usr/sbin/apachectl  which you will get by default.

At least I now have the pointer to MMAP again!

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10 OSX Server (now dead)

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com