Fixed error in https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP re optional pmadb config

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 1 10:38:35 PDT 2014

On Sep 1, 2014, at 11:23 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> The very end of the page https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP, on setting up optional pmadb, had a series of typographical errors about editing /opt/local/www/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php:
>
>  Entries of the form $cfg['Servers'][$i]['bookmark table'] = 'pma__bookmark';
>  erroneously had a single underscore after the leading "pma".
>
> These should be, as now edited on the page, double underscores. This is consistent with both the script
> /opt/local/www/phpmyadmin/examples/create_tables.sql
> that creates the corresponding database tables and with what's shown in the distributed
> config.sample.inc.php.
>
> I'm reporting this here so that perhaps some user might be spared the hours of grief I had until a kind soul on Stack Overflow pointed out the discrepancy.
>
> It would probably be safer, and simpler to just copy the relevant section from config.sample.inc.php to config.inc.php and uncomment them.

Thanks for the fix. It wasn't a typo, just a document that hadn't been updated in many years. That section of the document was added 4 years ago:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP?action=diff&version=54&old_version=53

The table names used to use just a single underscore, before phpMyAdmin had the double-underscore feature. A decade ago, I suggested to the developers of phpMyAdmin that they use the double-underscore in the default table names; they finally implemented that suggestion last year:

https://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/628/

I don't really see why we have duplicate documentation for how to configure phpMyAdmin; I don't see why we don't just refer users to the upstream documentation.