Portfiles with fetch.type git ... can one add arguments to git?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Thu Sep 4 08:47:36 PDT 2014

On Sep 4, 2014, at 9:27 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> A slightly more elaborate answer is ... you could ;)
> I just learned that `git clone --depth=1 --no-single-branch` is what you'd generally want. It discards history, but preserves the branching information.

The only difference between that and what base does when ${git.branch} is empty is that you get all the remote HEADs instead of just the primary one. You still have all the non-reproducibility problems I mentioned initially.

And it does NOT preserve branching "information" — it preserves all HEADs and their immediate histories, which is not the same. You've omitted all merge information past the depth cutoff, so you have no way to determine how the HEADs are related, short of deepening the clone later. But perhaps you don't need that information.

vq