Portfiles with fetch.type git ... can one add arguments to git?

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 11:46:52 PDT 2014

On Sep 04, 2014, at 20:32, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> You can specify a new depth for all histories with "git fetch --depth", though.

I'd have to have a look at that, thanks.

> MacPorts doesn't do anything smart with VCS fetching at the moment; the fetch phase always just does a full checkout from scratch. My working implementation of #16373 would sort of accomplish what you're looking for, except the local repository would live in $distpath.
>
> MacPorts generally does not go out of its way to resume interrupted phases in a graceful manner.

Interesting. What I have in mind is a workflow that would be practical with the work we're currently doing on KDE/MacPorts. Here it would make sense at least for developers to build and rebuild ports from a local git copy, in order to be able to commit changes back to the repo, or file KDE's Review Requests. I'd just do a port configure once and then move the "checkout" to somewhere in my own space, with a symlink in MacPort's build/work directory. That's what I do when tweaking things in a stable release out of a tarball, but with git ports that would also expose patches that are MacPorts specific or not of interest to "upstream".
So I'm not really thinking of interrupted phases, more about doing certain phases again in an incremental fashion.

It's just a thought, anyway. I just realise that that workflow I have in mind already uses things like `(cd /opt/local/var/macports/build/.../kdelibs4/build make)` or `make install/fast` in that same directory to update the files of an installed and activated port ... :)

R.