Portfiles with fetch.type git ... can one add arguments to git?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Thu Sep 4 11:32:09 PDT 2014

On Sep 4, 2014, at 2:09 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 04, 2014, at 17:47, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>
>> deepening the clone later. But perhaps you don't need that information.
>
> Rarely. Is there a way to deepen a clone up to a given commit?

Not to my knowledge. That particular operation wouldn't really make sense anyway, since you could have multiple, unrelated shallow histories. Then what would happen if you tried to deepen up to a specific commit that exists in one history but not the others? Git would have to allow multiple-depth shallow clones, which would add complexity to an already-complex feature.

You can specify a new depth for all histories with "git fetch --depth", though.

> Also, when using a "local copy repository", is there a way to copy only changed files to the working copy in /opt/local/var/macports/build? Through the port command of course, I think I know how I'd do that manually ;)

MacPorts doesn't do anything smart with VCS fetching at the moment; the fetch phase always just does a full checkout from scratch. My working implementation of #16373 would sort of accomplish what you're looking for, except the local repository would live in $distpath.

MacPorts generally does not go out of its way to resume interrupted phases in a graceful manner.

vq