install a por

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 13:48:44 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Alejandro Imass <aimass at yabarana.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 5 Sep 2014, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>> > Yeah MacPorts is the most awesome piece of software you will ever have
>> > on your Mac. It's very easy, friendly and robust.
>>
>> I've used FreeBSD's port system for ages, and yeah, the Mac beats it hands
>> down.
>

> Well, it is very good but I feel the FBSD's is just as good. And AFAIK the
> former is based/inspired on the latter, or am I mistaken?

MacPorts is based on the *BSD pkgsrc/ports system, but greatly improved; it
took years for BSD ports to come up with a reasonable way to handle
upgrading ports, and `port upgrade outdated` still handles cases that
`portupgrade` and `portmaster -a` don't (checking for manual upgrade
actions in /usr/ports/UPDATING is still essential). I'm just getting back
into the FreeBSD world and ports still feels rather primitive after
MacPorts.