kdevelop 4.7 and beyond (was: clang++-mp-3.4 doesn't find initializer_list on OS X 10.6)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 13:54:41 PDT 2014

On Friday September 05 2014 14:05:15 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> > Starting with kdevelop 4.7, C++11 is going to be required
>
> Currently, that means the port will have require OS X 10.9 and later. Support for 10.7 and 10.8 would involve moving all of MacPorts from libstdc++ to libc++ on those systems, which we have pondered before but not yet agreed to do, nor worked out how such an upgrade could be facilitated. Support for 10.6 would involve that plus the use of the libcxx port. Support for 10.4 and 10.5 would not be available.

Bummer. So I noticed. Building with C++11 and libcxx using clang worked well enough, but of course it crashes soon enough because the rest of KDE and Qt are not built the same way.

So that leaves macports-gcc-4.8 and higher ... I wonder if some of the crashes I've seen are due to using an outdated C++ runtime; sadly it's quite difficult to get proper backtraces, at least from optimised code, not even using port:gdb (Apple's own gdb tends to crash on kdevelop-git; Xcode 4's lldb just quits).
Maybe I should just consider getting on with getting over the idea of just keeping a 10.6.8 VM for the few PPC apps I still use ... :-/

R.