kdevelop 4.7 and beyond (was: clang++-mp-3.4 doesn't find initializer_list on OS X 10.6)

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sat Sep 6 10:10:40 PDT 2014

Before I start, I should make something clear: Given that this mixed runtime problem is definitively a problem on Lion and newer, I do not think MacPorts should jump through hoops to cater to Snow Leopard. We technically do not support Snow Leopard. In a month or two, Snow Leopard will be two versions removed from our support window.

On Sep 6, 2014, at 5:18 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> From what I understand, that's valid on later OS X versions, but not (necessarily) on OS X 10.6. I should have noticed issues with other C++ applications that I built using macports-gcc-4.x in that case, too.

Nope. Valid on all systems. Runtime problems were rather less likely to crop up on earlier systems because they still used libstdc++ and libsupc++ (albeit old ones), but that was more dumb luck than anything. Everything was still using different libraries, depending on which compiler had been used. Apple's move to a new runtime (libc++abi) and standard library (libc++) made the mess rather clearer.

> Also, I thought the GCC 4.x runtimes were supposed to be ABI compatible?

Supposedly. Note that OS X's libstdc++ was an Apple-modified 4.2.

> Hacking alert:
> Par of me now wonders if I couldn't "simply" replace the system runtime(s) with the current MacPorts one(s) (C++ and/or libgcc_s). I suppose that has been tried?

I do not know if anyone has tried that. You're welcome to volunteer for guinea pig duty.

>> The FSF GCC ports each used to include their own runtime and support
>> libraries (libstdc++, libgcc_s, etc.). This caused problems when, for
>> example, a port using gcc44's libraries linked against a port using gcc45's
>> libraries.
>
> On 10.6 or earlier already? I just wonder, this kind of situation is not at all uncommon on Linux, how come it doesn't bite there?

You'd have to ask someone who uses Linux and knows how Linux package managers link up their GCCs.

vq