kdevelop 4.7 and beyond (was: clang++-mp-3.4 doesn't find initializer_list on OS X 10.6)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 10:21:20 PDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org>
wrote:

> >> The FSF GCC ports each used to include their own runtime and support
> >> libraries (libstdc++, libgcc_s, etc.). This caused problems when, for
> >> example, a port using gcc44's libraries linked against a port using
> gcc45's
> >> libraries.
> >
> > On 10.6 or earlier already? I just wonder, this kind of situation is not
> at all uncommon on Linux, how come it doesn't bite there?
>
> You'd have to ask someone who uses Linux and knows how Linux package
> managers link up their GCCs.

They declare one runtime and use it. The difference in our case is that on
Linux the decision is made by whoever packages the system (their equivalent
of us) and everything goes through one gateway, but on OS X the decision is
made by Apple and package maintainers are all third parties who have to
cope with Apple's choice.

Additionally note that, while there is a libstdc++ that supports the new
ABI and which is used on Linux and is compatible with libc++, it's GPL3 so
Apple refuses to have anything to do with it. So Linux has jettisoned the
old C++ runtime ABI completely, but on older OS X we have to deal with it
still. Also, the way most Linux distributions handle versioning, it is
possible to run old binaries if you can install the old C++ runtime
library; you can't use newer libraries with it, but their versioning
prevents those libraries from being considered. If you try to compile
something, you'll get the new libraries including the new C++ runtime; you
can't have both *compile-time* (vs. runtime) C++ runtimes installed. So
everything remains consistent, but only because they control the whole
ecosystem.