kdevelop 4.7 and beyond (was: clang++-mp-3.4 doesn't find initializer_list on OS X 10.6)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 10:37:18 PDT 2014

On Saturday September 06 2014 13:10:40 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

> I do not know if anyone has tried that. You're welcome to volunteer for guinea pig duty.

Initial impression is that it works fine (and I found a trace of having relinked a version on 10.3 or 10.4, from a self-build gcc, though presumably a backport of an Apple gcc version). I'll know more when I've finished building the universal libgcc port variant.

> > On 10.6 or earlier already? I just wonder, this kind of situation is not at all uncommon on Linux, how come it doesn't bite there?
>
> You'd have to ask someone who uses Linux and knows how Linux package managers link up their GCCs.

Heh, I use Linux about 50% of the time nowadays. On Debian/Ubuntu, there are x86_64, i386 and x32 versions of libstdc++, and they're clearly the version belonging to the default gcc version (4.8x atm on Ubuntu 14.04). All new packages are built with that compiler, but there isn't necessarily an upgrade of ALL packages in the repositories when the compiler version is bumped ... I do not currently have a system that has seen a compiler upgrade so I cannot tell if such upgrades leave the older libstdc++ libraries around. Seems unlikely though, given that the dependencies are on libstdc++.6.so ...

I think it's safe to presume that newer runtimes only add features without breaking ABI compatibility, features that are of course unused by binaries compiled with older versions of the compiler.

> > The libc++-based MacPorts works well on < 10.9 already for most
> > packages. Supporting libstdc++ is getting increasingly painful with
> > more and more software depending on C++11.

OTOH, I just noticed that the binaries Qt5 distributes are linked against libstdc++, which I do have in /usr/lib on my 10.9 VM. A remnant of the OS upgrade, or is it still distributed by Apple, for older software?
Question is then, how do Qt build their binaries? On 10.7 or 10.8?

R.