kdevelop 4.7 and beyond (was: clang++-mp-3.4 doesn't find initializer_list on OS X 10.6)

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sun Sep 7 11:36:55 PDT 2014

On Sep 7, 2014, at 4:11 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Debian's package generation system is very intricate and can keep track of ABI changes in shared libraries (exported symbols, really) so I'd not be amazed if it could also keep track of dependencies on C++ runtimes and the like. (Just sayin' ... :) )

All this talk about keeping track of C++ runtimes and switching to libc++ is dangerous because it proposes a huge amount of work that deftly dances around the actual problem.

As I understand it, the root problem is that the libstdc++ we provide does not use the system's C++ runtime, as Apple's custom libstdc++ does. It uses its own runtime. Until our libstdc++ is ported to use libc++abi instead of libsupc++, our g++ compilers will be broken in a *very* fundamental way.

Jeremy didn't do this work because he can't touch GPLv3 code. Given the recent clamor, I'm starting to look into it.

vq