How install p5-libapreq2 for perl 5.20?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Sep 15 15:13:03 PDT 2014

On Sep 15, 2014, at 5:28 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2014, at 8:58 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>
>>> For the first iteration, I would do nothing special. I would let each subport install those files, which would make the subports conflict with one another. That's not desirable, but better than the current unworkable situation.
>>>
>>> As a second iteration, I would try removing those files from the p5.*-mod_perl2 subports, and put only those files back into a mod_perl2 port. I assume mod_perl.so requires the rest of the perl-version-specific files, so that port would have perl5.* variants which depend on the corresponding p5.*-mod_perl2 port.
>>
>> that mod_perl.so is version specific (ie, it would be different for each of the sub-ports and so it can't be pulled into one common port). The sub-ports would just have to be marked as conflicting.
>
> I realize the mod_perl.so would be specific to the perl version, that's why I suggested the hypothetical mod_perl2 port would have variants for choosing which perl version to use.

so why would you pull it out of the p5.xx-mod_perl2 port and put it into mod_perl2+perl5.X ?

>> It would be better if we just supported one perl5 version.
>
> I have no objection to that if someone wants to put in the effort to do it.

Other than consensus, what do we need to do?

We currently don't really give people a graceful (port upgrade) way of moving from one perl release to another.

I'm happy to make a branch where perl5 is perl5.20.0 and the perl5 portgroup is modified to not make subports (so p5-foo ports will just install like they used to), if that would be helpful.

--
Daniel J. Luke