Building ld64 failed

Andreas Engelbert a.engelbert at gmx.de
Fri Sep 26 00:40:54 PDT 2014

Hi there!

I have access to an old Mac-pro running OS X 10.5.8. with Xcode 3.1.2
and was using MacPorts in order to simplify the installation of a build
environment for my own little project to run on Macs too. And all was
fine until yesterday.

Then, after years without updating, I foolishly did:
# port selfupdate
# port upgrade outdated

rebuilding failed at the ld64 package.
> fetch ld64-127.2_7+llvm34.darwin_9.i386.tbz2
> Error: org.macports.build for port ld64 returned:
> command execution failed

(see attachment /opt/local/var/[...]ld64/main.log)

I followed some random advice on the internet suggesting to start from a
clean slate and reinstalled the MacPorts from scratch, which also failed
at building ld64. So now I don't have the working system to fall back
on. (Yep - no backup)

The homepage states that MacPorts is developed for the current OS-X and
two previous versions. So the Leopard might have gotten too old for the
latest builds. But I don't have the ownership over the Mac and cannot
upgrade it to Lion.

Hopefully someone on the list can help and point me to possible solutions.

Thanks
Andreas