Uninstall macports - opt path unexpected

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 3 15:59:26 PDT 2015

On Apr 3, 2015, at 5:32 PM, Ann Mueller wrote:

> Hi,
> I inherited a Mac from a co-worker, it had macports already installed. While attempting to add iPython I had huge problems so I am uninstalling it along with PIP so I can start over with macports, python, and iPython.
>
> I am following these instructions to uninstall macports from my Mac.
> https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2009-December/018177.html
> https://guide.macports.org/index.html#installing.macports.uninstalling
>

> My paths are really different and I don't know if I should be concerned or do anything differently?
>
> Use case: I searched my Mac OS Yosemite for org.macports and this is the path
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/kde/kdelibs4/files/org.macports.kdecache.plist.
>
> that directory ../ports has a maybe 25 directories in it - for example ../math and ../kde.
>
> There is no Application or Library directory there however, and per those instructions my MacPorts directory is in this path:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/sysutils/MacPorts
>
> I can give more details but if anyone can tell me to continue or not continue, to follow those instructions despite my really weird installation locations I would appreciate the help.

Hello Ann,

The paths you've listed are all normal paths in a normal MacPorts installation. You should use the instructions in the guide to uninstall:

sudo port -fp uninstall installed

If this gives an error, let me know. If it produces no output or says something like no ports are installed or no ports matched the expression, then that means there are no ports installed or you already successfully uninstalled them before.

After successfully uninstalling the ports as per above, you would remove the remaining parts of MacPorts by running:

sudo rm -rf \
        /opt/local \
        /Applications/DarwinPorts \
        /Applications/MacPorts \
        /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.* \
        /Library/Receipts/DarwinPorts*.pkg \
        /Library/Receipts/MacPorts*.pkg \
        /Library/StartupItems/DarwinPortsStartup \
        /Library/Tcl/darwinports1.0 \
        /Library/Tcl/macports1.0 \
        ~/.macports

It is fine if you don't have all of those paths on your system. Several of them relate to older versions of MacPorts and some of them are only present if you install certain ports.