migration question

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 11 04:27:21 PDT 2015

On Apr 11, 2015, at 5:54 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Saturday April 11 2015 05:27:36 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> it can work; it's what I did. Software built on 10.9 largely works fine on 10.10, so you can still use most of your old ports until you rebuild them. I still have a few ports installed on 10.10 that were built for 10.9 -- mostly those that cannot be built on 10.10 right now.
>
> That's exactly what I thought I'd do (and I hope that by the time I decide to migrate all ports I use/need will build on 10.10).

In my case, it's ports that are not compatible with clang, and therefore use llvm-gcc42. The problem is llvm-gcc42 does not build on 10.10 either, and that's not planned to be fixed; it's considered obsolete.

> And I'll try to see what happens when you build against the 10.10 SDK on 10.9. I think I already did by accident just after upgrading to 10.9 and installing a recent enough Xcode for it to happen, but I cannot recall the exact results.

Unless you plan to meticulously analyze each port's build script, you won't know whether that build script makes conditional decisions based on the OS X version. I would estimate it's more likely that a build script would conditionalize based on the OS X version rather than the SDK version because I would guess most developers* are not aware that the SDK can be changed independently of the OS X version.

*developers of open-source software not exclusively targeting OS X, that is