"Warning: All compilers are either blacklisted or unavailable; defaulting to first fallback option" [What's the meaning of this output line?]

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 14 04:53:28 PDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 5:34 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2015, at 8:09 PM, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
> > When trying to install some ports on a newly upgraded Yosemite system, I
> get these lines:
> >
> > Warning: All compilers are either blacklisted or unavailable; defaulting
> to first fallback option
> >
> > For example, it happens for the sam2p port. Here this line is repeated
> about two dozen times even:
> >
> > --->  Configuring sam2p
> > Warning: All compilers are either blacklisted or unavailable; defaulting
> to first fallback option
>
> This means that the sam2p port declares that it is not compatible with
> some compilers: in fact, it declares that it is not compatible with every
> compiler that is compatible with your operating system. Therefore, no
> compilers remain that can compile this port, so you cannot compile this
> port on your operating system.
>
> That is what the message means, but in fact it is not entirely true in
> this case.
>
> Specifically, the sam2p port declares that it is incompatible with all
> version of the clang compiler, and the clang compiler is the only compiler
> that comes with Xcode 5 and later.
>
> Older compilers exist in MacPorts, with which sam2p would be compatible:
> llvm-gcc42 and apple-gcc42. However, at the time that MacPorts 2.3.3 was
> released, llvm-gcc42 and apple-gcc42 could not be built on Yosemite, so
> MacPorts does not include those compilers in the list of fallback compilers.
>
> The problems with llvm-gcc42 and apple-gcc42 have since been fixed. They
> now build and work on Yosemite. MacPorts has been updated (in r136965) to
> now use those as fallbacks again on Yosemite. However, a new version of
> MacPorts has not been released since then.

Than you very much, Ryan, for your patient and comprehensive explanations.

Until a new version of MacPorts is released containing this fix, you should
> be able to force MacPorts to use llvm-gcc42 for sam2p as follows:
>
> sudo port clean sam2p
> sudo port install sam2p configure.compiler=macports-llvm-gcc-4.2

I did this, and it worked without any issue.

Another option is to upgrade your MacPorts installation to the latest
> development code from our svn repository, which contains the fix.

This route I don’t dare nor need to go at the moment :-)

Thanks again.

​