Problem upgrading `tiff`

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 12 22:23:55 PDT 2015

Remember to use the Reply All function when you reply, so the conversation stays on the mailing list. I've re-added the list address to my reply.

On Aug 12, 2015, at 5:41 PM, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 6:06 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> Don't use the -f flag to force things unless you really understand the consequences of doing that.
>
> Too late :-)
>
> I upgraded now to Yosemite and am following the instructions for MacPorts migration.
>
> However, my son may have the same problem. So, if he hasn’t kept a log of all his force-activations — is there a ports command which will reveal all possibly conflicting ports?
>
> If not — is this a feature request that is worth while to ask for?

No, there is currently no way to have MacPorts give you a list of all ports that conflict with some other port.

When you force an activation, MacPorts keeps the conflicting files but renames them with a suffix that begins with ".mp_" followed by the timestamp. So to identify all the ports whose activations you've forced, you could scan the MacPorts prefix for filenames matching that pattern:

sudo find -E /opt/local -regex '^.*\.mp_[0-9]+$'

Recent versions of MacPorts remember what port those renamed files belong to, so if you forced the activations recently, you could then map those files back to the ports that were force-activated:

sudo find -E /opt/local -regex '^.*\.mp_[0-9]+$' -print0 | xargs -0 port provides | sed 's/^.*: //' | sort -u

Older versions of MacPorts lost the link between the file and the port when the file was renamed due to an activation conflict, so if you force-activated ports several years ago, then you may instead get the message that a file "is not provided by a MacPorts port" and you'll have to manually intuit what port it might have come from.

Assuming you get a list of ports that you force-activated, you can then decide which of them, if any, you want to keep. If none of them, you can uninstall them. If one of them, you should uninstall it, then reinstall it, to ensure that its files are properly named (without ".mp_*" suffix). You may then get the message again that you cannot install it because another port is active. In that case, uninstall or deactivate that other port, then install the port you wanted.