Help with a port

Michael David Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 10:34:28 PDT 2015

Dan,

I expect I can build you a standalone, dynamically-linked lynx this
weekend, then provide a MacPorts build by the middle to end of next
week.  My dynamic build will come with an installation script, later
I'll come up with a GUI installer as well as a statically-linked
build.

(It's easy to build your own code statically-linked but sometimes it
can be hard to build someone else's code that way.)

MacPorts is the best thing to build with if you already know how to
build with MacPorts, but I don't know how yet so I'll start with the
old fashioned "./configure; make; sudo make install" which is a real
good way to root your own box.

In my long hard experience there are always all manner of petty
problems when building any really interesting code.  For wget most of
my time is consumed by its SSL/TLS security (ie. HTTPS) which I
presently do not require but expect would be difficult to remove
entirely from wget.  lynx will also want SSL/TLS, which will at least
partially reuse my wget work but could well be quite different.

I couldn't maintain the entire MacPorts tree on old OS X revisions but
quite likely I could maintain a modest number of commonly-used or
important packages.  For me that's wget, lynx, djbdns, gcc, the X11
servers and maybe I can backport clang/llvm.

My righteously tricked-out MacBook Pro went to The Great Cupertino
Garage in the sky so now I'm coding on Mom's G4 Tiger iMac in hopes
that I can write something that I can sell for enough money to buy a
new box for myself.

I am on 56k dialup as Mom is completely convinced that were I to use
my own money to install a cable modem in her condo she would never
receive any more emails from her friends, family nor schoolmates.

were I to point out to her that I know how The Series Of Tubes work
and she does not, Mom would dial 9-1-1 to let them know I'm not taking
my medicine.  That commonly results in my being admitted to a nuthouse
in handcuffs by the police.

I Am Absolutely Serious.

Thine In Eternal Torment,

El Ingenioso Don Miguel de la Chula Visa
Salmon Creek Consulting Engineers
http://soggywizards.com/
mike at soggywizards.com                     <-- Maybe Tomorrow.
+1 (503) 688-8345

    One Must Not Trifle With Wizards For It Makes Us Soggy And Hard To Light.

--
Michael David Crawford P.E., Consulting Process Architect
mdcrawford at gmail.com
http://mike.soggywizard.com/

      One Must Not Trifle With Wizards For It Makes Us Soggy And Hard To Light.