'aalib' fails to build.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 31 07:02:22 PDT 2015

On Aug 31, 2015, at 8:21 AM, Andrew Long wrote:

> On 31 Aug 2015, at 14:01, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Andrew Long wrote:
>>> It fals during the configure phase. Here's the trailing several lines from main.log:-
>>>
>>> :info:configure dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
>>> :info:configure   Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libreadline.6.dylib
>>>
>>> This looks to me like a bad selection of compilers to choose from. I'm running OSX Lion 10.7.5 with the standard xcode for that version. I don't understand enough about the contents of teh configure.log to have any more of a guess
>>
>> ...? I see no mention of compilers. I *do* see that the recent update of ncurses broke readline (and pretty much everything else, because the idiot ncurses devs encouraged hardcoding version 5.x in various ways and now have released version 6.0).
>
> Well, it *was* a guess, based on the statement about incompatible architectures a few lines later on.

The message about incompatible architectures was based on an incorrect assumption and should be ignored.

:info:configure dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
:info:configure   Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libreadline.6.dylib
:info:configure   Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
:info:configure 	/usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture

The message means that the linker noticed that /opt/local/lib/libreadline.6.dylib was linked with /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib, but that /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib did not exist. The linker then incorrectly assumed it knew better, and that you actually wanted to use /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib, then informed you that it couldn't do that because /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib contains the wrong architectures.

We don't want to use /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib. We don't want to use /opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib anymore either. We want to use /opt/local/lib/libncurses.6.dylib.

> I'm in the process of installing ncurses.5 (on the basis that readline.6 wants it so I'll give it to it) and it's now rebuilding a whole host of ports.

Please don't do that. Please upgrade to ncurses 6, and rebuild your ports against that.