"To use the rsyncd server you must copy /opt/local/etc/rsyncd.conf.example ..."?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 04:09:06 PST 2015

Hi Everyone,

I have a test machine setup with Macports. The machine took some
updates, and it produced the following message:

<MESSAGE>
To use the rsyncd server you must copy /opt/local/etc/rsyncd.conf.example to
rsyncd.conf and add your modules there. See 'man rsyncd.conf' for more
information.
</MESSAGE>

I have to apologize, but I have no idea about rsyncd or the the
message, and searching is not producing helpful results.

Is there an actionable item for me to perform? If so, what should I be
doing (is it just the copy that's been called out)?

Thanks in advance.

----------

$ sudo ~/macport-update.sh
Password: ...
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
MacPorts base version 2.3.4 installed,
MacPorts base version 2.3.4 downloaded.
--->  Updating the ports tree
--->  MacPorts base is already the latest version
--->  Installing rsync @3.1.2_0
--->  Cleaning rsync
--->  Computing dependencies for rsync
--->  Deactivating rsync @3.1.1_0
--->  Cleaning rsync
--->  Activating rsync @3.1.2_0

To use the rsyncd server you must copy /opt/local/etc/rsyncd.conf.example to
rsyncd.conf and add your modules there. See 'man rsyncd.conf' for more
information.

--->  Cleaning rsync
--->  Updating database of binaries

$ cat ~/macport-update.sh