Spider Webs

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Fri Dec 25 04:38:45 PST 2015

> On 25 Dec 2015, at 4:00 AM, macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:
>
> Long ago (a week or 2) in a land far away (right here)
>
> X failed to start about 1 in 2 making my ports that use X11 fail to start.
> So I upgraded to el Capitan and formatted my disk (case sensitive)
> Many ports did work but gnuplot and QT5 failed to build.
>
> So I downgraded and installed yosemite. Everything builds, X always starts, all good except the dear folk who support the ports asked that my tickets include the fail log.
>
> I did have my time machine running (beware if you change from case sensitive to insensitive time machine balks)
>
> Being a sucker for punishment, getting the logs, heeding the ticket advice, I reinstalled el Capitan using time machine.
> Everything works and is familiar, but future port builds will not.
>
> If I move /opt/local away, reinstall el Capitan version of macports, build all my ports does the auld /opt/local contain *everything* or are there spider webs related that will make this step a real bad move? DBUS comes to mind.
> I?m thinking about future ports and about moving this /opt/local back if I can?t get QT5 to build.
> I can build gnuplot with -aquaterm option.

(1) I’d like to thank Ryan for the help and support and in particular when all seems lost and you are all alone the opinions and comments are hugely reassuring and make the whole process easier (as opposed to impossibly hard). Thanks Mate.

(2) I’d like to end the thread tidily. If anybody refers to it the story from beginning to end is laid out. That would have helped me!

I’ve installed el Capitan
Everything works
All my ports including gnuplot and QT5 (with mysql) build and QT compiles apps.

To build gnuplot I needed to not build aquaterm $ sudo port install gnuplot -aquaterm
Qt5 built without problems
to build QT apps in the .pro files
QMAKE_MAC_SDK = macosx10.11

To get X for my ports e.g. wireshark e.g. gnuplot set term X11 persist I installed
sudo port install org-server

I’m not a fan of sudo but for port building it plays a part in privilege management so use it.

All of my woes were real, but without the confidence that it *did* work I did not try to find my issues. X not starting and nothing logged is solved with a disk format. The reason is unknown.

James