Mono -- does it really need X11?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:37:12 PST 2015

On Friday February 06 2015 09:24:56 Michael wrote:

> Mono's library dependencies:
> Library Dependencies: gettext, glib2, libiconv, zlib, libgdiplus, xorg-libX11

If mono depends on X11 directly and not through GTk2, then it won't be as easy to avoid the dependency as I thought ...

> And, Gtk2 also has:
> Library Dependencies: atk, pango, gdk-pixbuf2, gobject-introspection, xorg-libXi, xorg-libXrandr,
>                       xorg-libXcursor, xorg-libXinerama, xorg-libXdamage, xorg-libXcomposite, xorg-libXfixes
>
> So, call this ignorant user error -- how would I make this work without X?

See above, but also try
%> port info gtk2 +quartz

and marvel at the disappeared dependencies ;)

> (Turns out it is low priority -- the program that I wanted to install (a GIT interface) turns out to now be out of date, abandoned, and replaced by a windows-specific newer program).

I use 3 GUI interfaces to git: qgit, KDevelop and Atlassian's SourceTree (not in MacPorts, of course).

R.