can't start mysql56 after move datadir

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 09:05:42 PST 2015

OK, understood. But still, it seems a security risk to use "chmod a+x" or even "chmod o+x"  on each of the directories /Volumes, /Volumes/MacHD, /Volumes/MacHD/Users, /Volumes/MacHD/Users/thisuser, /Volumes/MacHD/Users/thisuser/mysql (leading to /Volumes/MacHD/Users/thisuser/mysql/data, which is already owned by _mysql).

Isn't there some safer way to be able to use mysql with a datadir in a non-default location (after specifying it in my.cnf, of course)?

> On 13 Feb2015, at 11:34 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've never heard permission "+x" referred to as "search permission". I thought +x is "execute" permission, which is surely more dangerous than +r read permission.
>
> How do you execute a directory? +x *on directories* is "search". Likewise setuid/setgid/save-text bits have different meanings on directories (and setugid generally has other meanings non non-executable files), where they otherwise wouldn't be meaningful.
>
> --
> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
> allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101		Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334