can't start mysql56 after move datadir

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Feb 13 12:37:29 PST 2015

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015, Brandon Allbery wrote:

>       I've never heard permission "+x" referred to as "search
>       permission". I thought +x is "execute" permission, which is
>       surely more dangerous than +r read permission.
>
> How do you execute a directory? +x *on directories* is "search".
> Likewise setuid/setgid/save-text bits have different meanings on
> directories (and setugid generally has other meanings non non-executable
> files), where they otherwise wouldn't be meaningful.

Unix file permissions are subtle, and were very well thought out.  The
most beautiful example, of course, would be the permission to remove a
file.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)