port:imap-uw and mailbox corruption on 10.9.5?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 07:13:55 PST 2015

On Monday January 12 2015 09:49:58 Daniel J. Luke wrote:

Hi,

> I stopped running uw-imap that a long time ago because of similar issues (data corruption especially under high load) and also because of a series of security issues that happened one after another (that I got sick of dealing with/patching).

Hmm, as I said, I've used this same version for years on OS X 10.6 without issues, and months together with kmail. I guess I should disable my local account in kmail and run another client (sylpheed :)) to see if that also gives issues or if the KDE PIM imap agent is the culprit.
Truth is that I don't get incoming mail other than cron output in my local inbox, so it's not like it's an end of the world issue ;)

> Do you have an example of the corruption? IIRC procmail version 3.21 would sometimes eat the 'F' from a 'From ' line in mbox file (but I think recent Mac OS X versions ship with procmail 3.22).

No, the first 64 or so bytes get replaced with garbage, as if there's a buffer overflow when rewriting the imap folder header.

> dovecot works really well as an imap server (well enough that I haven't had to switch from mbox files to something else). If it's only happening to your INBOX, though, you may have an lda issue instead of an IMAP server issue.

Last time I tried to run something other than UW imapd I couldn't get it set up. Also, I patched the UW imapd to support per-user configuration files that specify the location of the mail folders tree, rather than offloading that to the client (which may not have an imap prefix path feature).

R.