port:imap-uw and mailbox corruption on 10.9.5?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Jan 12 06:49:58 PST 2015

> On Jan 11, 2015, at 6:02 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone else but me running the UW IMAP daemon as a local imap server? I haven't yet been able to pinpoint the exact culprit, but since I migrated to 10.9 (from 10.6.8), I get periodic corruption over the 1st line in my local inbox (/var/mail/$USER), that looks like if someone is doing out-of-bound memory access.

I stopped running uw-imap that a long time ago because of similar issues (data corruption especially under high load) and also because of a series of security issues that happened one after another (that I got sick of dealing with/patching).

Do you have an example of the corruption? IIRC procmail version 3.21 would sometimes eat the 'F' from a 'From ' line in mbox file (but I think recent Mac OS X versions ship with procmail 3.22).

> While not impossible, I cannot really believe that my email client (KDE's kmail) does that while checking the account (also, I should have noticed similar corruption in my email archives, which are imap folders accessed through that same server.

dovecot works really well as an imap server (well enough that I haven't had to switch from mbox files to something else). If it's only happening to your INBOX, though, you may have an lda issue instead of an IMAP server issue.

--
Daniel J. Luke