/opt/local/macports/software

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Jan 19 06:34:51 PST 2015

> On Jan 19, 2015, at 6:34 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> What issues with SpotLight and/or Time Machine?

the best way to figure that out would probably be to look through the macports-dev archives where the changes were discussed before they were implemented.

Also note that the way our binary packages work was tied into this change (along with the desire to continue to provide activate/deactivate for multiple versions of a port).

> If there are, it would be possible to provide a port command or script that adds certain directories to their respective exclusion lists. AFAIK that can be done from the commandline and thus also from scripts.

being able to let TimeMachine back up my macports $prefix is nice, I wouldn't want to not be able to do that because of a macports design decision.

> What could be an option:
> - remove inactivated ports by default after a port upgrade

man port says:

-u       uninstall non-active ports when upgrading and uninstalling

> - use xz instead of bzip2 to compact things a bit more

this would probably be a small change (I think there's support for gzip and zip already) - but changing your local archive type means you won't get binary archives.

It would be interesting to see if changing to xz would be worthwhile on a 'typical' set of ports (or on the un-typical set of ports that are available as binary archives).

> - the place where such large things are stored, which are required only when doing port maintenance or development.

you can set portdbpath in macports.conf (which would move some other stuff too).

--
Daniel J. Luke