/opt/local/macports/software

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 07:49:07 PST 2015

On Monday January 19 2015 09:34:51 Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> being able to let TimeMachine back up my macports $prefix is nice, I wouldn't want to not be able to do that because of a macports design decision.

Of course - but all of it? I exclude a good part of $prefix/var/macports, because it's too big and so much of it can be regenerated/redownloaded.

> man port says:
>
> -u       uninstall non-active ports when upgrading and uninstalling

Yup. Can it be made the default (like -c can)?

> > - the place where such large things are stored, which are required only when doing port maintenance or development.
>
> you can set portdbpath in macports.conf (which would move some other stuff too).

Good to know; it's not a name I'd be looking for!

> > Similarly, is there a way to disable the storing of the source files in
> > …/distfiles?
>
> No [...]

Are there side-effects to cleaning out that directory manually, other than re-downloading when needed?

R.