/opt/local/macports/software

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 06:50:28 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 4:42 AM, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

> It is correct that all others I am familiar with do not require the user
> to effectively have two copies (albeit one compressed) on their system, the
> installed one and the original install media (whether that be tar, rpm, deb
> or whatever).

It is also correct that all other package systems you're familiar with
never have to build locally from source.

Possibly if you can get away with always operating in binary mode then we
could re-download missing archives from packages.macports.org, If you can't
(and there are lots of reasons why things might not be be prebuilt for you)
then you really want those archives.