/opt/local/macports/software

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 19 07:11:49 PST 2015

> It is also correct that all other package systems you're familiar with
> never have to build locally from source.

True, but I don't agree it completely negates the argument.

> Possibly if you can get away with always operating in binary mode then
> we could re-download missing archives from packages.macports.org
> <http://packages.macports.org>, If you can't (and there are lots of
> reasons why things might not be be prebuilt for you) then you really
> want those archives.

That is a choice a user might wish to make for themselves... If they
have limited disk space then even for packages without binary archives a
user might prefer to accept the CPU cost of re-building from source, if
they ever need to, to keeping the archive on disk just in case...

Chris