/opt/local/macports/software

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 12:12:29 PST 2015

On Monday January 19 2015 14:52:25 Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On the other hand, I solved it by copying most of /opt/local/var/macports
> onto an external USB drive and symlinking it back. Huge USB external drives
> are ridiculously cheap these days.

I'm pretty sure I tried that, and got slapped on the fingers with references to security, sandboxing, and the like.

The only time I managed to have at least the build dir mounted from elsewhere was when experimenting with ZFS for which I'd kept a good part of my 1TB internal. Created a dataset mounted on /opt/local/var/macports/build (with /opt/local a symlink; ZFS doesn't care), switched on compression on the dataset, and ho presto.
Except that ZFS is (still) so unstable that it has a habit of causing KPs even when you're not using it, so that experiment ended quite quickly.

Compression would be really great on something like a build tree; object code tends to compress even better than source code.

R.