/opt/local/macports/software

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 12:25:17 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 3:12 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On the other hand, I solved it by copying most of /opt/local/var/macports
> > onto an external USB drive and symlinking it back. Huge USB external
> drives
> > are ridiculously cheap these days.
>
> I'm pretty sure I tried that, and got slapped on the fingers with
> references to security, sandboxing, and the like.

/opt/local itself can't be safely symlinked because various things break
when it's not a real directory. Certain parts of things underneath it very
much can be without problems; I moved the build tree, sources, and
distfiles. (The build tree was the only thing that worried me, and probably
trace mode won't work that way --- but then, I'm unlikely to use trace mode
on the Air.)