OT probably, help please

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 06:40:28 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 4:29 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> A bit too many reports of comparable symptoms in 10.9 somehow related to
> disk I/O errors for my comfort zone. OS X wouldn't be doing something low
> level that somehow stresses the disk hardware I hope?

Just for one example (in the area of "complex systems"): HFS+'s hot file
support is the sort of thing that can exacerbate failing disks... and the
effect would get worse with certain kinds of changes to what files are
"hot", which might well cause it to become more evident in a newer OS
version.

And I don't think the right answer here is "simplify" because that just
covers up the fact that it's failing, ensuring that when it becomes obvious
again it'll be too late to save your data. (Yes, yes, have backups ---
guess what? Backups will *also* make this more obvious. So do you also
disable backups because "they trigger disk errors"?)