OT probably, help please

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 08:02:26 PST 2015

On Thursday January 22 2015 09:40:28 Brandon Allbery wrote:

> Just for one example (in the area of "complex systems"): HFS+'s hot file
> support is the sort of thing that can exacerbate failing disks... and the
> effect would get worse with certain kinds of changes to what files are
> "hot", which might well cause it to become more evident in a newer OS
> version.

I don't know if the hot file feature is what I was thinking with low level operations, but yes, it is something that could exacerbate failing disk by concentration frequent read/writes on a specific part of the disk.

> again it'll be too late to save your data. (Yes, yes, have backups ---
> guess what? Backups will *also* make this more obvious. So do you also

I guess you mean full backups which are a way of testing the entire set of sectors in use?

> disable backups because "they trigger disk errors"?)

What did you think I was suggesting?

I wasn't. I was asking.
And yes, I do keep in mind that Apple has reasons to drive sales and incite people to buy new hardware and is probably not above tactics that decrease a product's theoretical lifetime.

R.