pulseaudio 5.0 fails to build

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Fri Jan 23 11:49:51 PST 2015

On Jan 23, 2015, at 5:00 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday January 23 2015 01:26:20 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Point and Rect are Carbon types. Carbon is obsolete and should no longer be used.
>
> Go tell that to the FOSS maintainers who use out of courtesy to us... I know it shouldn't be used for new, Mac-specific applications, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple themselves use it in some of the FOSS stuff they ship with OS X. The fact that the Carbon headers are (now) buried deeply in a framework with a telling name like CoreServices would support that, IMO.

Whether or not Apple itself still ships Carbon code is completely irrelevant. Apple deprecated Carbon years ago, and its continued use in any shipping code should be considered a bug.

At the very least, it should be accessed via CoreServices/CoreServices.h, not directly.

>> /Developer should only exist on OS X 10.6 and earlier. If you have this directory on OS X 10.9, delete it. All it can do is cause problems.
>
> That's a different question I think. I'm not yet ready to give up what's still my favourite IDE O:-) and am still planning to see experiment some more with it.

You can do what you like, as ever. We don't have to support it, as ever. And we do not support having outdated versions of Xcode installed.

That being said, the PulseAudio build should be smarter about the headers it uses.

> My first experiences seem to indicate that it still builds (some) legacy and platform-agnostic software, and its presence only caused problems here because it was accessed explicitly. After all, the current dev tools are supposed to be able to co-exist with each other because of an almost indecent level of putting everything in the Xcode app bundle (>5Gb for Xcode 6.1 or something like that?) so they should also ignore /Developer.

The different Xcodes probably ignore each other just fine. The issue here is a third-party build system that indiscriminately includes obsolete headers.

vq