pulseaudio 5.0 fails to build

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 13:55:43 PST 2015

On Friday January 23 2015 14:49:51 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2015, at 5:00 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Whether or not Apple itself still ships Carbon code is completely irrelevant. Apple deprecated Carbon years ago, and its continued use in any shipping code should be considered a bug.

That's a fine contradiction if ever I saw one ...

> At the very least, it should be accessed via CoreServices/CoreServices.h, not directly.

Which is exactly what pulseaudio does. The offending header file from /Developer (the one containing the type definitions?) must have been included indirectly because it doesn't show up in the include hierarchy printed with the error message.

> The different Xcodes probably ignore each other just fine. The issue here is a third-party build system that indiscriminately includes obsolete headers.

Exactly. Or rather, a build system that checks for and adds an obsolete source of header files.

Out of curiosity and because I still do have a 10.6 system: what's the story behind /Developer/Headers? I don't recall ever having used it. I'm going to leave it moved aside for now, unless that's a known source of trouble in itself (on 10.6 of course).

R.