Python packages installed using pip not on PATH

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 17:50:30 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 8:45 PM, Ludwig <macports at metaspasm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jul 2015, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > MacPorts should be the only software installing files into the MacPorts
> > prefix (/opt/local); using pip (or anything else) to install software
> into
> > the MacPorts prefix is not recommended.
>
> Does this include ruby gems?

All of Perl, Python, and Ruby recommend you do not install manually any
modules / packages in a package manager-provided tree, not even with
standard utilities like Perl's cpan. There are very good reasons for this,
although less applicable to MacPorts than to, say, Linux (where installing
the wrong Perl module on a Debian-ish system can break dpkg/apt-get, or the
wrong Python module on a Red Hat-ish system can break yum. I've actually
had to help someone try to recover from the former).