Python packages installed using pip not on PATH

Russell Jones russell.jones at physics.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 16 02:42:39 PDT 2015

It depends on the use case, but with Python often it's worth using a
virtualenv with a requirements.txt, the commands are virtualenv-2.7 and
pyvenv-3.4 in MacPorts. This allows better reproduceability and it's
fairly easy to start the setup again with a fresh virtualenv. I think
Ruby has at least one equivalent. I don't know about Perl. With Python's
pip, there's also the --user flag, but it's less easy to clean up and
start again or have multiple set-ups.

Russell